What We Do
We will be by your side to defend and promote your rights and interests by:
- promoting employment justice at all times
- annually negotiating your salary and other conditions of employment
- preparing you for, and representing you at, disciplinary hearings
- preparing you for, and representing you at, grievance hearings
- assisting you in re -grading applications
- securing favourable outcomes during departmental restructuring and minimizing retrenchments
- representing and negotiating your views in respect of the Personal Performance System and its salary implications
- providing input into relevant UCT policies affecting your employment
- promoting, negotiating and consulting on employment equity issues with particular emphasis on your skills development
- preparing you for, and representing you on, any issue that needs to be referred to the CCMA (and if necessary the Labour Courts)
- ensuring the University abides by its own policies (e.g. overtime, leave)
We achieve this, and more, through individual meeting with managers, representation on the Institutional Forum, the University Transformation Advisory Committee, the Consultative Forum, the UCT Language Policy Committee, and the Organisational Health Forum, - to name but a few. More importantly we engage management seriously and firmly at times of annual negotiations.
The above are examples of what the UCTEU can do for you.